Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Indulge Your Crazy & Admit that You Can't Not Do It



I'm totally crazy, I know that. I don't say that to be a smartass, but I know that that's the very essence of what makes my work good. And I know my work is good. Not everybody likes it, that's fine. I don't do it for everybody. Or anybody. I do it because I can't not do it.

Maurice Sendak as quoted from 10 Things You Might Not Know About Maurice Sendak

Also:
Q: How do you write for children?
A: I really have never figured that out. So I decided to just ignore it.

I thought it was also interesting to note that Sendak's In the Night Kitchen is on the list of most frequently banned books, according to the ALA, which is one of the best before-bed picture books ever done, in the humble opinion of our house. When my daughter was of picture book age In the Night Kitchen was one of her favorites. Because of this she would've seen Sendak's rendering of a small boy's penis countless times. Still, I think she'll be all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment