Friday, July 12, 2013

Mo' Eno & the Way to Mo' Work

Perfection to me is characterless. Brian Eno




In an interview during his Flaming Pie period, Paul McCartney spoke about some of his writing process. If he only had two hours to work, he said his mission would be to complete a chunk of work during that time. Whatever was started was finished in that time frame, be it writing, recording, etc, whatever the results. Later, he could decide whether anything good came from it but during those two hours he was going to be industrious. He wouldn't stop to question, doubt or edit. In other words, allow perfection to slow the production. He also wouldn't start anything he couldn't finish.

As creators, there are times for input and times for output. Too many of my friends spend far too much time inputting and not enough time outputting. Outputting being the actual doing part of the process, the making of the thing—or at least taking a few steps along the way. Outputting need not be the thing, just a thing. I'm also guilty of this. As I was thinking about this I imagined counting myself as one of my friends. Artists do need friends, support groups, communities, etc. When I'm writing, though, I'm not my friend. Not at all: Not even a frenemy. Instead I'm the Brain Police, a stick-wielding squad of abusers ready beat down the work until I finally stop altogether. Perfectionism is death.

To the artist there is only one true god: Blockage. And when Blockage comes there is only one prayer: Not today.*

*An old expression reused in Season 2 of Game of Thrones.

No comments:

Post a Comment