Monday, September 2, 2013

There are no gifts, only payments


I was childish for so, so long: I walked around all the time wanting this and wanting that. 'I want to be happy.' 'I want to work better.' 'I want to improve my health.' 'I want to make a difference.' This, I believe, is the stance of childhood. The adult walks around, upright, deserving things. Because they do the right things and show up and make a difference, they deserve to be happy and work better. They deserve to make a difference. So wanting is useless. It's a hunger, and it's selfish. Don't want for peace; work toward it. Don't want for pain to be eased; work at easing it. Then you will be a deserving person, and the gifts of life appear. 

Elizabeth Taylor, interview with James Grissom (1991)

No comments:

Post a Comment